So, here we are. In MARCH? Whaaaaat?
March is a fun month for us. Three family birthdays, the return of soccer season, and a much-needed glimpse of spring (please!!). Also included this year: a super crazy travel schedule for Mr. Familyfoodnag, and a few blowout nor’easters that dumped an annoying amount of snow on us.
What’s a mom to do when faced with three kids (+) three consecutive snow days (-) another adult in the house? Bake. Cook. Eat. Meditate while locked in the bathroom. You get the idea.
On the list this week was a super yummy egg bake. Complete with plenty of added veggie power, and also, bacon. Because, what says ‘comfort food’ more than bacon? While this certainly can work for breakfast, we ate it for dinner. It’s definitely hearty enough!
I served it atop toast, which isn’t necessary. BUT. Canyon Bakehouse just sent me a bunch of their gluten-free bread products to try out. They are ALL good, but I have NEVER had a gluten-free rye that I could cheer about. Now I do. Canyon’s gluten-free rye is straight up dreamy. The kind of rye that makes you want to run out and buy pastrami just so you have another excuse to eat it. Did I mention that I like it? Ok, good.
Check it out, and let me know what you think!
Sweet Potato & Asparagus Egg Bake (plus, bacon!)
by: Lauren M. Koch, RDN
prep: 25min cook: 50min
- 8 strips bacon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 10 spears asparagus, washed & with ends removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crispy, set aside. In this same pan, brown onion, and 3 of the garlic cloves until tender. Set aside.
- For the potatoes: after washing, poke several small holes in your potatoes, and wrap in a moist paper towel. Place in a microwave-safe dish, and microwave on high for about 8 minutes, turning them halfway through cook time. Potatoes should be fork-tender, but NOT mushy. Allow to cool, then slice vertically in about 1/2″ pieces.
- For the asparagus: line a baking pan, and arrange spears in a single layer. Lightly brush with olive oil, and one of the minced garlic cloves. Bake at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes. once cool, chop into pieces about 1″ long.
- Adjust oven heat to 350 degrees, and coat a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Line the bottom of the dish with sweet potato rounds, overlapping slightly (as in the photo). Layer the asparagus pieces evenly atop the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk until blended. Mix in the onions, garlic, bacon, cheese, and seasoning. Pour over the sweet potato and asparagus.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until egg is completed set. Let sit for about 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!!